Monday, October 6, 2008

Memories of a Good Friend

It seems like everywhere I turn I see a memory of Trouble. I have 17 years of them, so I guess it is not surprising.

I was feeding Mocha some of the braunswieger that we had gotten for him just a couple of days before we died and I realized that Trouble had always left her a little of his food for her. Now he has left her his braunswieger. I'm getting that lump in my throat again, yet it is tempered by a smile at the great dog he was.

Mocha is laying here by my feet as I type this. She knows something is not right and she is doing her best to comfort me, the big guy trained her well.

Sue has headed off with her mother to the upper penisula to visit her sister and get some reference photos. I'll be here holding down the fort here until Friday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, Mark. I had no idea that Trouble had passed. Either that or I just missed it somehow. Your pain is my pain. I guess I should have been keeping closer track of you. If you need to talk, I'm here.

MarkEllisHarmon said...

Thanks Friend. I never really understood how much a part of my life that dog had become. I am having a surprisingly difficult time dealing with it. I know that it is best for him, he can run again and it has been a long time since he could do that. I should be happy for him, but I am mostly sad for me.

Anonymous said...

Your sadness is completely understandable. Like our human friends, we become very invested in their lives without really noticing how much a part of us they are. The word 'pet' doesn't even seem appropriate any more. They work their way into the very fabric of our existence and enrich it in ways we can't even perceive on a conscious level. Take your time and grieve.