Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thoughts are clogging my brain.

Getting my mind the changes we have wrought with the game is making me look deeply at the way we have been doing the game.

This whole trying to force the existing cards into sets of nine cards is making me look at the cards in a different light. It looks like a straight forward shove them in nines and print them, but it is not that simple.

I was just doing the nine shaman cards for a gallery of the set and I realized that the Spirit Dancer and the Tattoo Artist cards are good cards, but not good in this set. We really need two new cards in there instead. *sigh* maybe a healing spell between Healing Hands and Healing Touch. Healing Contact? 5 pts would get a 2d6+12 card. A good step between the 2 point for beginning and the 8 point for big healing. Give some room to grow the character.

Since currently a shaman can only speak with willing spirits we could use an "Open a Dialogue" card. Choosing the word Dialogue should convey the idea of a two way talk that may well involve disagreements. Do I spend too much time wondering about specific words to use? It seems like people blend together a lot of words that seem to have different meanings to me.

The second problem here is that I really need to be bending my efforts into getting together everything for the Artshow at Gencon in a week. Sue is trying, with huge effort, to get all of her commission work caught up and done. That means I do not have art to put into the new cards.

Well, I guess I will just have to start talking here about some of the issues we are facing in growing DS. Many of those issues have developed because we did not have time before to cover everything, maybe we have become a little more organized around here and we can start to make some progress on some of these things.

Time sent me an updated card list, I really appreciate that. Now I may be able to get some of the numbers right on these cards.

New Cards:
Healing Contact SHA-030. 5cp 2d6+12.
Open A Dialogue SHA-031. 1cp

Now I need to go make a new sheet and a gallery for them. Maybe start a special set for the Magic Anchors.


-- Post From My iPad

1 comment:

Seth said...

The fact that you said can only communicate with "willing" spirits got me thinking...what if, instead, the second card was an ace designed specifically for UNwilling spirits? At a certain success roll (+WIS, most likely), the character could interact, at the cost of either shaman cards or independent actions per turn, with an unwilling spirit as long as it was a clearly evil or unpleasant one (ergo, you wouldn't be able to target a friendly spirit that simply does not or will not help for whatever reason), or it is something that doesn't actually harm the spirit, just sort of keeps it immobile while the shaman asks a couple of questions. That way, the shaman would be able to glean information from the spirit of a necromancer's former lackey about the secret entrance to the castle keep, but would suffer a physical cost for the effort. And there's still nothing to keep the lackey from running off and warning her former master afterwards...