Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday, not a day of rest.

Sue has just left for her mothers. Her mother called and is stuck in bed. It is the back problem. Looks like her mother has a herniated disk. They are trying to decide what to do about it.


I have reset my phone until feb. My Virgin Mobile phone may be rather a poor tool, but it is on pay-as-you-go so it costs me $100.00 a year. I just don't use the phone much. My computer has mostly replaced a hand held phone for me. A Smartphone would get more use, but not as a phone. A good smartphone would take some pressure off of my computer, but the contract price is a problem. Maybe the answer is something like an ipod touch. I can see that Sue's phone is an asset in work and seeing empirical evidence of the business value is better than reading an opinion. I have a problem with the reviews on the iphone/touch. Most reviewers seem to be either apple haters who do not use the iphone, or apple lovers who can not see the flaws. The difficulty is sorting them out. Leo Laporte is an interesting one. He like the iphone, but wants better. He buys every iphone killer. Takes two days to learn it. Spends a week singing the new phones greatness, then returns to the iphone due to the new phones problems.


Looks like it will be a fractured day for me. Sue is being forced to "bounce" around today and it is goining to be a pain in the butt for her. I will need to run back-up for her. She has another painting to finish before Midwest Furfest. I am going to have to stick to simple work. I will not be able to become too engrossed in any project.


I just got the Shards of Honor Audiobook by Lois McMaster Bujold. The narrator is Grover Gardner. Just starting to listen to it. Since I will be bouncing to help Sue, I will have to listen to it a couple of times to actually "hear" it all. I find that it takes me several times listening to get most of a book. Even books I have heard a dozen times (Like the Rex Stout books) still have some surprises in them.


I have a good pile of work in front of me. I finally got out and acquired laundry soap. Dishes are calling. I also got new vaccum bags, so that job is up. I had new DS cards at PentaCon that are still not up on the web. The Crypt Crawl Village and adventures are still calling me. Sue needs inventory/printing done for Con. Etsy needs maintenence. Leaves need to be in the street for city pick-up. The subjects for podcasts keep swimming through my mind, I just do not know how to make the time for them.


I have started a journal/diary in the Yojimbo to try to watch my eating and health.


With just three cups of coffee in me, I think I need to attack the kitchen, make coffee and do dishes. I will see at the end of the day how much I can get done.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You like coffee. I know you both like coffee. question is, what do you think makes a good coffee?

See I actually drank the coffee at church this morning (I usually hit the pop machine - we meet in the YMCA - but thought the Muntain dew would only flare up the bloated feeling again). I had a very rapid reminder of why I don't drink coffee there (and I rarely drink it anyway). It was flavored hot water with my normal lots of sugar. I read you post and decided to ask ...

MarkEllisHarmon said...

I like good coffee, but I am far from an expert, however, I will go ahead and act as if I am.

The bean is the secret. What seems to make the difference is the quality of the bean, including how it was grown. The best beans are shade grown and these are not the ones you find in the standard coffee's, they cost more. Shade grown beans do not "wash" out the taste.

I think the coffee used in machines are the beans no one wanted to use, the left overs, they are real cheap and they taste like it. Terrible stuff, it does not taste like coffee. Commercial coffee available to Churches etc. are just a little better than machine coffee. Brand "X" probably fits the churches budget, not their fault really.

Brand name coffees use better beans, but not the high quality beans. They pay more, but not a "good" price. Places like Starbucks have decent coffee, but not really good stuff. You get a hint of the taste of coffee, but it is not the real taste of coffee.

When you find coffee that says it is "Fair Trade" it is at the better end of the beans and costs more. Again, look for Shade Grown. There are a number of these around. The better Starbucks coffee's are Fair Trade. Some of these are real coffee.

Organic coffee is grown without herbicides etc. As beans develop they can absorb them. I do not care for the idea of drinking any bug poison, even in tiny amounts, so I drink the organic. Even here you want to look for shade grown beans. Almost always real coffee.

I will drink whatever I have too on the road to get coffee, but it is not always so good. We buy our coffee on line at a site called Dean's Beans. Good stuff. Ahab's Revenge is real coffee with a lot of caffeine. Ring of Fire is good tasting with less caffeine.

So there are the humble words of a not coffee expert.